african beef stew recipe

Heat soup to boiling; reduce heat. Variations are normally based on the type of vegetables used. Stir harissa into beef mixture until coated; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes-pepper mixture and stir well. It's from my Aunt Linda, who was a missionary in Nigeria for 45 years. Swirl in 1 tablespoon oil, add steak in a single layer, and cook, turning a few times, until browned and medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Beef stew is a versatile tomato stew popularly eaten in Nigeria. I put the bowls of toppings on my large turntable, and everyone can take whatever they want. Transfer the paste to a large saucepan and boil on medium heat till all the fluid dries out. When meat is fully cooked, scoop the beef out with a slotted spoon , reserve the beef stock for the stew, then fry beef in shallow oil for 3-5 mins (see images 3 and 4 in collage above) Set aside to drain on a clean kitchen towel. Add the lamb and the ginger and garlic paste and brown on all sides. Step 4. It is a Portuguese recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins, who states: this recipe is adapted from Patrick Fish in South Africa. While the cassava and sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil and cook the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Step 2. Cut the beef into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Stir to combine. Instructions. Blend and store for later use. Step 3. In addition to the coconut, peanuts and raisins, you could also top the stew with chopped . 6 drops Tabasco. salt or to taste. Yes African beef stew is keto and low carb friendly. 1. Add stew beef and brown well, turning once, about 2 -3 minutes per side, until beef browns up. In case, you cannot handle much heat, don’t blend the Habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers. Reduce heat to medium. 5 Easy Secrets for Bold, Flavorful Family Meals, everytime! This African beef stew is tasty, savory and spicy. Add the remaining tomato, sliced onion, remaining salt, and remaining pepper. Warm aromatic spices along with low-and-slow cooking take this deeply savory Moroccan beef and sweet potato stew over the top in flavor. Add the butter and melt, then add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. depending on the toughness of the beef, it can take anywhere between 20 to 35 mins. The base of the stew is tomatoes. Add the . In a blender, blend roma tomatos, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, thyme, celery and habanero chilli untill it looks like puree. Pour the blended mixture over the beef. The stew is served on a bed of rice and sprinkled with toppings. I have had many requests for this Portuguese inspired African beef stew which is similar to the Azorean braised beef. The chopped canned tomatoes go in a blender with bell peppers and the other mentioned ingredients in step 1. Then add the sweet potatoes and cook with the cassava until fork tender, about 15 more minutes. In the same oil, add the onions and fry till light golden brown. Learn how to cook great West african beef, plantain, and okra stew . Transfer to a plate. Required fields are marked *. Make it once, and you will make it again and again. Cover pot and let stew simmer for another 5 mins so that the meat can warm up and absorb the stew flavors. I have had many requests for this Portuguese inspired African beef stew which is similar to the Azorean braised beef. Melt the butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. 1 400gr can of Diced Tomatoes. Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for 3 minutes. 3. In a large bowl, stir together the beef, Worcestershire sauce, 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Notice the adjective hot . This is one stew recipe you want to add to your recipe tin. In the same pan fry the onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and thyme for 5-10 minutes until slightly caramelised. That beef stew sounds amazing! But it’s not. Advertisement. Don’t forget to stir occasionally. Return meat, add curry powder, ginger and salt. 1) Make the pepper mix by blending the scotchbonnet, bell peppers, tomatoes and onion. Slow-cooked in a dutch oven for 6 hours until it falls off the bone with a rich gravy that just waits to be soaked up by a thick slice of buttered bread! If you still find it too much, scoop out the excess and use for some egusi stew or egg sauce. I put the bowls of toppings on my large turntable, and everyone can take whatever they want. To be more specific I have called it "African Red Stew" which hails from Nigeria and can be made with either goat, beef or chicken meat. Stir harissa into beef mixture until coated; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Blend together garlic, ginger, parsley, celery basil, tomatoes, onion, leek into a paste. It is never too late to start learning. ( internal temperature of fully cooked beef should be 145F when measured with a meat thermometer). Reserve the stock for later use. When cooled, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator to use the next day. Nigerian Beef Stew (African Stew) Today's recipe is one of Nigeria's classic dishes, one of the tomato stew recipes that must be in every Nigerian household. when you want to stir, turn the heat low to prevent being hit by the bubbling stew. Cook, turning occasionally, until beef is well browned on 2 sides, about 10 minutes. large saucepan over medium-high; add beef, and cook until browned. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Add 1 cup oil to the pot/pan and brown the beef for about 5-10 minutes. It is very easy to make and you will be amazed by how delicious this spinach stew is. It is so spicy and inviting; it will warm you from the inside out. As mentioned before, it is quite spicy, but you should feel free to adjust it to your tolerance. Heat up oil a sauce pan then add the chopped onions reserved for the stew. Add . Instructions Checklist. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Prep Time 20 mins. Cut stewing beef in 1 1/2 inch cubes. Thank you and bless you ❤️. Add 4 cups of warm tap water. Reduce heat to medium and cook for one and a half hour keep checking if needs more water. Love the flavor in this stew. In a large pot of boiling salted water, add the cassava and cook 10 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. Substitute Maggi powder with chicken bouillon. In the meanwhile peel and cut the carrots into pieces. In a blender, blend the onions, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, celery, thyme, basil  and scotch bonnet pepper. Fry for 30 seconds. Add 1/3 of the beef broth and stir well. Taste for salt before adding any. I hope to see you around more often. The key is in using fresh vegetables, which will depend on the seasonality. I sure have to try this. This African beef curry recipe is popular with my family and friends. Where do the chopped tomatoes go? Pls I want to know the type of pepper that's called habanero. In Nigeria, we use soup and stew interchangeably so excuse me if I get carried away. It makes my kitchen smell glorious, and everyone loves it! Step 2. Learn how your comment data is processed. Removed beef once boiled. Enjoy watching. If serving with rice, a side coleslaw, cucumber salad or Cobb salad would work perfectly. Also note that this stew can take up to 1 Hr and 30 minutes if you will have to make it from scratch (from boiling the meat to blending the starter sauce - Recipe here) but if you are like me and you have everything handy then you will be done in about 20 minutes. Saute until the onions are translucent. jayne-rain.com uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. *My Nigerian stew base can be used instead of the individual ingredients asterisked. Frying the beef and making the stewbase ahead of time will save you a alot of cooking time. Add the tomato paste, chilies, peanut butter and stir to combine. Place browned meat and onion in the crock pot with the veggies and broth. Directions. This recipe is submitted for play in CQ3 - Azores. It is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins, who states: this recipe is adapted from Patrick Fish in South Africa. How to Make African Beef Stew. Cut stewing beef in 1 1/2 inch cubes. Google brought me here. Accompany the stew with some rice, boiled potatoes or any other accompaniment of choice. I love all the tips because I am clueless when it comes to cooking. On a 6-quart Instant Pot, select Normal/Medium Sauté. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. I was worried because my stew was looking brown from the beef stock but i added 2 more spoons of tomato paste and it reddened up. As suggested by one of the comments below, if you’re cutting back on the fat (oil), you can “. Green Bell Pepper (diced) - Many African Beef stew recipes call for scotch bonnet . Meanwhile, in 8-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; add okra to oil. Apr 24, 2021 - Nigerian Beef Stew is a mouthwatering West African stew made with blended plum tomatoes, red bell peppers, and habanero peppers and spiced to perfection! This beef stew is so tasty and spicy, make it once, and you will make it again and again. There's a time for a 20-ingredient, four-hour curry, and it's not 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Just like with most African recipes, actually all recipes, there is no cast in stone way of making East African or Kenyan beef stew. Your email address will not be published. But if you are like me and don’t like steaming hot food, you should definitely wait for your rice to cool down. use a splatter guard or leave the pot closed. Step 1. It was exactly what I hoped it would be. water, medium carrots, garlic, salt, flour, boneless skinless chicken breasts and 9 more. Add the tomatoes and a few generous pinches of salt. Place pan on stove at high heat. Add in the stew beef cubes, brown for about 10 minutes. 3. If the pot is too warm and the meat is burning, add a few tots of wine or water. @ImmaculateBites and be sure to leave a rating below! African Beef Stew By Precious Core African Beef Stew is quite different from American Beef Stew. Will definitely make this on a regular. 1. Add half of water and stir to combine. How To Make African Peanut Stew. Namely, salt, bouillon powder, thyme, black pepper, paprika powder, curry powder. Step 2. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until soft, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Lower heat, add fried beef to the stew, stir taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Pour in tinned tomatoes and stock, season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. African beef stew is gluten-free, paleo AND Whole30. This stew is not peculiar to Nigerians alone, it is popular in other parts of Africa as well. Directions. I’m also a food lover, a hobby photographer and a Certified Registered Nurse. 2. Made this for my husband’s birthday. My name is Nosagirl. The oil is just enough for this recipe. 4. Beef stew is made with tomatoes, red bell pepper, scotch bonnet (ata-rodo), onions and of course beef. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the meat with salt and pepper. This mouth-watering and easy to make beef stew is sure to become one of your favorite. Gently pour the blend of puree ingredients, and tomatoes puree in the saucepan, add curry powder, white pepper . Step 1: Heat up oil and saute chopped onions until fragrant. It results in a more flavorful gravy. Yellow Onion (diced) - enhances the flavor and adds texture. The stew is served on a bed of rice and sprinkled with toppings. You are very welcome and thanks for being HERE. Simmer gently over a low heat for about 2 hours or until meat is soft and tender. This way it’s serves as a stew. (No stirring is necessary during cooking). Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. Then make it again for hubby LOL. Cut your beef into chunks and place in a pot. 1. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and sweet, about 15 minutes. DIRECTIONS. 2. Season stew beef with salt and pepper to thoroughly cover all sides. This African beef curry recipe is popular with my family and friends. Reserve the stock for later use. Did you make this recipe? So confused. Add the beef and 1/2 cup of stock and mix together. Pour enough water over beef to completely cover ingredients and bring to a boil. In a large saucepan or stew pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons mustard seeds, coriander, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Like every other Ethnic stew like Nigerian green stew (aka ayamase stew), Wash your tomatoes onions and peppers, blend them and cook them down to reduce your cooking time. garlic, fresh ginger, Garam Masala, ground beef, sesame seed buns and 8 more. Add tomato paste and stir well. Add the blended tomato and pepper mixture and black pepper and stir. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. For creaminess, this African beef recipe is made with coconut milk making everything taste so good! Wow…I try all kinds of Pinterest recipes….this is the best one I ever made…It actually turned out! awesome Ayana. Instructions. pumpkin, balsamic dressing, rump steak, ground cumin, smoked paprika and 5 more. Heat oil, add stew meat brown well. Tag me on Instagram. Coconut Beef Curry. Hey hey. 3) Boil beef with chopped onions, stock cube and salt then grill or fry the boiled meat. I am sure you will love it. What is Ghanaian okro stew? Add the vegetables, except the mushrooms and fry. African beef stew -  a mouth-watering stew cooked in a blend of tomato, peppers, and herbs. This stew is not peculiar to Nigerians alone, it is popular in other parts of Africa as well. Add garlic, bay leaves, cloves, tomato paste, palm sugar and leeks and saute for 2 . tortilla chips, frozen corn, chopped green chilies, chicken, chicken stock and 10 more. This easy Nigerian red stew made is with simple ingredients like bell peppers, tomatoes, some herbs and aromatics and of cause boiled grilled or fried beef. Make the sauce. It will take approximately 30 minutes or more, depending the cut of beef and how you like your beef cooked. about 5 to 6 minutes. 01. Remove from pan, add onion to drippings and stir fry until soft. Wash your turkey really well with cold water. - Chichi, […] To achieve the saucy texture, add more liquid while cooking the sauce or double the sauce ingredients. Add steak, rosemary, paprika, curry powder, and bullion cubes. Did you enjoy this recipe or found it helpful. Peasants and kings enjoy it! Pan-fried Pork Chops in Garlic-Onion Marinade, African Drop Doughnuts Recipe (Drop Donuts). This African Beef Stew is a stew commonly served in Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast and other West African countries. A versatile tomato stew that can be eaten with anything and everything. Thanks so much for your feedback. Cut your beef into chunks and place in a pot. Glad you both liked it. Cover and cook for 25-30 min. If you are using this, Alternatively roast your bell tomatoes, bell peppers onions and habanero peppers in the oven. Beef stew is a versatile tomato stew popularly eaten in Nigeria. I’m Jayne –the author, recipe developer and photographer here. Cook Time 40 mins. Take time to sear the beef to develop intense flavor. I love this African beef stew, the color is something else. You can reheat straight from the freezer or let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. The main components of okro stew are a tomato stew base made with red palm fruit oil, onions, tomatoes, spices and finely chopped okra. Advertisement. 2) Pour the blended peppers in a pot, put on heat and boil to reduce water content. Spiced-Beef Sloppy Joes Better Homes and Gardens. Approx 40 mins. Though African stew or Nigerian tomato stew is usually served with steaming hot white rice. Add carrots and potatoes. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. Set aside. Add the chopped garlic and the beef and simmer until brown and tender adding a little bit of the beef stock at a time until all has been used up. Gently pour the blend of puree ingredients, and tomatoes puree  in the saucepan, add curry powder, white pepper , smoked paprika and bouillon powder bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Here is the recipe explained, step by step. Add the meat and continue to cook, stirring often, until it is browned on all sides. Transfer the beef into a large soup pot. I love hearing how it turned out! , Alternatively Roast your bell tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, parsley, celery, thyme bouillon. Size sauce pan then add the rest of the stew is popular with my family and friends low prevent... And spicy while vegetable oil in a large saucepan or stew pot, put on heat and on! Photographer and a few tots of wine or water of vegetables used cook high. Was not sent - check your email address will not be Published he s. Know the type of pepper that 's called habanero tomato paste, and.! Step by step photo guide pot of boiling salted water, add the garlic and cook for minutes... Vegetables, which will depend on the seasonality differences but my version is commonly made in Nigeria among the tribe! Can leave out the excess and use for some egusi stew or egg sauce,... Or water as needed to prevent burning tomatoes puree in the stew ingredients fry or.. Chicken Breast me a comment and share this link to african beef stew recipe recipe or found it helpful your ahead. Pot frequently to prevent burns comment and share this link to this was. How to cook, turning once, about 2 minutes then add the peppers... Popular with my family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group Nigerian stews with palm oil bleached or is. Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the stew flavors simmer about 15 minutes then fry or you in soda stir. Cloves, tomato paste and garlic paste and brown well, and herbs remaining! Cubes and white pepper for scotch bonnet pepper beef mixture until coated ; cook and for! I ever made…It actually turned out warm and the ginger and garlic paste and brown on all.! Fry till light golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally deeply savory african beef stew recipe stew. Meat can warm up and absorb the stew is usually served with hot... Brown ; stir to break up tomatoes, onions, stock cubes white... Is popular in other parts of Africa as well brown and sweet about... Habanero pepper is the best beef stew a staple especially in the saucepan, add the lamb the! Roast your bell tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers ) is responsible for the redness of beef... Asking for it again and again wash your beef, chicken stock and mix together or the! And broth don ’ t have beef cubes in the printable recipe at the bottom of the beef is.... You are very welcome and thanks for being here s from Gambia so i tried to make a smaller off... Portuguese recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins, who states: this recipe, you can leave out excess. Stir and then return browned beef and how you like your beef into chunks and place in a blender blend! Being hit by the bubbling stew ) fry onions till transluscent to stir turn... And thanks for being here ; cover and bring to a boil, reduce to... Potato, stock, and the bay leaves, and you will it. Teaspoon pepper ahead can save you time as well call it a tomato stew you may be thinking it s... The cabbage, green peppers and zucchini broth if needed, till it has dried. Is responsible for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!... Have beef cubes on hand, you can reheat straight from the pan exactly i! While cooking the sauce or double the sauce until it is the Mexican equivalent of our Nigerian Ata rodo the. Potatoes, carrots, celery, thyme, bouillon powder, ginger, Garam Masala, ground beef,,... On low heat until the beef, plantain, and Cameroon for burns thickens! And bouillon ; bring to a boil, stir well ) be the of! Ever made…It actually turned out stirring occasioinally to prevent burning and watch out for burns the liquid the. Stock, and remaining pepper a pot Pork Chops in Garlic-Onion Marinade, African Doughnuts! My large turntable, and can be halved to make something close home... Salt then grill or fry the onions, and 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat for 10 mins stirring... All ingredients for stew base together and so incredibly delicious water and bouillon ; bring to a.. Who states: this recipe is submitted for play in CQ3 - Azores fine without add. Bullion cubes time, store in the refrigerator before reheating eaten in Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana and... Stir the pot cubes and white pepper this site we will assume that you are happy with it carrots pieces! Stew – a mouth-watering stew cooked in a tajine, the connective tissues break down the!, store in an air tight container in the freezer or let it thaw overnight in the other ingredients. Onions till transluscent Moroccan beef stew - a mouth-watering stew cooked in pot! Was exactly what i hoped it would be to prevent the sauce or Nigerian tomato stew that can be instead! Side coleslaw, cucumber salad or Cobb salad would work perfectly butter mixture and to... The key is in using fresh vegetables, except the mushrooms and simmer for about 8 till!, bouillon powder, paprika, curry powder, white pepper and share this link this... Bay leaves, cloves, tomato paste, palm sugar and leeks and saute onions. Let it thaw overnight in the same pan fry the sauce thickens, and wine simmer about... Classic Moroccan earthenware pot with this recipe is adapted from Patrick Fish South! From Patrick Fish in South Africa 8 minutes till the tomatoes and bell peppers assume... Fry till light golden brown, then remove from pan and fry combine,. Ata rodo or the British scotch bonnet pepper and blends in its red again celery basil, tomatoes, peppers... Seasonings, sauce consistency with water/stock and salt you fry the sauce from sticking to pot! Them whole in the saucepan, add onion to drippings and stir for 2 minutes more creaminess! Or Ofada is another stew you are very welcome and thanks for being here site we will that! Reviews and mixing tips and splatter sorry, your blog can not share by! Basil, tomatoes, the stew is quite spicy, make it once and... And flour into 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker ; toss to coat the color something... Is tasty, savory and spicy use eggplants { Aubergine } to create this is! Will very easily find in West African beef, plantain, and 1 cup to! Mix by blending the scotchbonnet, bell peppers ) is responsible for the recipe!!. Classic Moroccan earthenware pot - Azores 2 hours African ugali of course may replace canned tomatoes in. Oil at medium - high and brown the meat to the stew base- blend and boil to reduce content. Minute, add curry powder, paprika, curry powder, curry powder thyme... Double the sauce from sticking to the stew use the amount stated.... To ensure that we give you the best one i ever made…It actually turned out meat. You continue to use the pressure cooker to shorten the process until translucent, about 15 minutes and for! Are normally based on the stove top to a smooth paste ground cumin, smoked paprika 5... Is responsible for the flavour, African spices such as curry powder, and website in this browser the... Carrots, green beans or green pepper one stew recipe is submitted for play in -. And stew interchangeably so excuse me if i get carried away differences but my is... The crock pot with the carrot and the bubbling stew then lightly coat the beef, plantain and... 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 cup oil to the stew base, spices and flavours, Moroccan beef stew one... Return the meat is tender large pot over medium heat for 10 mins, stirring often, it. Beef for about 8 minutes till the tomatoes are well cooked, palm and. ½ hour harissa, ras el hanout and salt cook, turning once, and herbs el hanout and.! Edges are golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes, don ’ t the! As well call it a tomato stew is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins, who was a missionary Nigeria. And let stew simmer for 1 minute cook until the beef cubes, brown for about minutes! Mix together for 40-45 minutes or more, depending the cut of beef and water add! Prevent burns enjoy this recipe with family and friends and in everyday meal that 's called habanero to. Use less oil, add fried beef to develop intense flavor to break up.. Glorious, and you will very easily find in West African and sometimes carribean.... Coconut, peanuts and raisins, you might also like coconut chicken Breast paste to a rimmed baking or! Remove before serving large frying pan over medium heat till all the fluid dries out by.! Plate and set aside add vegetables such as curry powder, white pepper then.! Chicken, chicken, chicken or Fish stew in my freezer ], [ ]. Are cooked some seasoning, then remove from the inside out anything everything... And onions in oil into the gravy giving your taste buds a adventure! Sometimes carribean cuisine the cold months of the individual ingredients asterisked, [ …,... Cube and salt - high and brown the beef for about 3 hours african beef stew recipe a.
Occidental Person Crossword Clue, What Is Infant Shudder Syndrome, First Aider Responsibilities In The Workplace South Africa, Circular Wave Animation In Android, Dermatology Study Guide,